Over the past few weeks, I've been building my Prusa I3 MK3S + MMU2S combo, and it has been a lot of fun to build! My wife actually enjoyed helping, and one of the eighth graders I hang out with at church pitched in too. The instructions are mostly LEGO-style, and I think it's a fantastic parent-child project for semi-handy people who are looking to get into 3D printing.
After we finished the MK3S, I started working on the MMU2S, and that build was much harder. The process isn't documented as well and the margin for error is smaller, but I got it together! Yesterday, after four or five hours of tweaking, fine-tuning, and un-jamming, I got my first real multi-color print!
The g-code for the gecko only takes about four hours to print, but I was continually tweaking the MMU and clearing jams. All in all, with breaks for work, troubleshooting time, and one print restart, the gecko took about 24 hours. Not bad for the first go-round!
One of the things I appreciate most is that the MMU will detect problems during the loading/unloading process. When it detects a problem, it pauses the print and keeps the bed warm until you fix it. After you get it working again, the nozzle will reheat, and the print will pick up seamlessly where it left off. The process actually works really well. I had about 15 jams during this print, and I expect to have fewer and fewer jams as I learn to use the printer better.
Hopefully soon I can put up some tips and tricks for getting started with this thing! For now, I'm excited that it's working. The project I have in mind next is a board game box organizer for Twilight Imperium, 4th Edition. My friend Andrew asked me to make it for him, and I'm working on two-color boxes to store some of the pieces. Should be fun!